Monday, June 15, 2009

Too Many Resources

And the Lord said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me. Judges 7:2 (King James).

I do not consider myself to be a farmer, but I wanted to learn how to can and preserve so I decided to plant a vegetable garden. This was two years ago. Since I had never farmed before, I had very little confidence in my ability to be a "farmer". I said a prayer as I dropped the seeds into the ground, asking God to bless my garden, to let it grow and be fruitful. Each morning after, and just like a child waiting for their seed to grow, I looked out my window to see how my summer garden was growing. Weeks after I first planted the seeds, I prayed for rain, and then when it rained, I thanked God for the rain. Each evening when I got home from work I walked out to my garden to view the tiny sprouts, and then I would thank God for His unique creation. Each night before I went to bed, I looked out my window and thanked God for my garden. I was excited when each day I began to see progress. This behavior became consistent and normal over the entire life of my garden. It was then that I began to wonder. When have I been thankful for something so simple, that I normally take for granted?

Through what I wanted to be a small and simple garden, have come a few lessons from God. My whole purpose for planting the garden was so that I could learn to make homemade pickles, but God had something else in mind. Why had I never depended on God for rain, prayed for rain,and then thanked Him when he sent the rain? Unless it was going to interfere with a shopping trip, vacation, or my hair, I never thought of praying about rain. Why was it not a normal part of my everyday routine to get up each morning and thank God for His creation? I know the reason why. It is because I have too many resources. I never needed to thank Him for a garden because I have always gone to the grocery store to buy whatever I needed. God has shown me through my garden that most of us have too many resources we depend on, instead of depending on Him. We do not "need" to pray and ask God to provide money for that desire, or need that we have, because we can charge it on our credit card. We do not "need" to pray and ask God to heal our marriage because we can get a divorce instantly. We can order and view anything we want online, and receive it as quickly as we want. What do we need to trust God for today? The answer is absolutely everything. Yet in our world of many conveniences we get whatever we want instantly, never thinking to depend on God alone.

Have all of the conveniences that we have today taken away the great privilege of depending solely on God for each and every thing we need in our life? God wants us to depend on Him alone. When He comes through for us, He wants the glory. In Judges Chapter seven and verse 2, the Lord told Gideon that he had too many men in his army for the Lord to lead them in victory against the Midianites. In short, he had too many resources. God knew that if Israel defeated the Midianites with 32,000 men, then they would want to take credit for the victory, and others would claim that the victory came from Israel’s vast army. God eventually had Gideon reduce his army to only 300 men. Sound impossible? That is when God likes to work in our lives; when it seems impossible to us. Think about that for a moment. Gideon’s men were reduced from 32,000 to 300, and yes-they defeated the Midianites. Was it because of all the resources they had? No, it was because of God’s hand and power in the matter. When was the last time God proved Himself strong in your impossible situation? Could it be that He has not in awhile? Is it possible that you have not needed Him because you have other resources and means to solve your problems?

Perhaps this is why prayer plays such a small role in our lives today. Maybe we have so many resources that we do not realize God is the only resource we need. I never prayed for rain because I have other resources when it comes to getting food. What about you? Do you have too many resources? Are there things in your life that you are confident in that have become your means of security and your dependence? Are you confident in that job that you have had forever? That degree you hold? The new home you have? Your spouse? Your health? Take some time to think about this. Is God looking down at you and saying that you have too many resources. What if God told you today, “You have too many resources; I’m not getting the glory in your life, because you are not depending on me?” What would you do? I’m afraid that many times God has to strip us of our resources so that we learn to be dependent on Him, and not on other people or other things. God does not do this to us because he wants to be mean to us, he does this because he loves us and wants us to depend on him alone. He will show himself to be faithful. Could you make it, if God put your back against the wall and said, “Down size to the impossible, and just trust me?”

:) Bette Jo

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Bette! So glad you visited my site. I'm glad you got your blog up and running. There can never be too many Christian women praising the Lord on the Internet!

Unknown said...

I do have too many resources. The Lord spoke to my heart. You have encouraged me to rely on the Lord.

chucksangel said...

Prayer is the key!