When the Lights Go Out

Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of His servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God. Isaiah 50:10 (NIV)
I do not think about the privilege of having electricity nor am I thankful for it...until the lights go out. When the lights go out I realize how much I depend on electricity and how much easier it is to get things done with the help of extra light, plumbing, etc. Not only do I realize how much it helps me to see and to get things done, but also when the lights go out, I am forced to either stop most of my normal routines or slow them down a bit. The same thing is true in our spiritual walk with God. At times, for various reasons, the lights must go out. The reality is, darkness is a necessity in the life of a Christian. It is possible to be serving God and doing everything that you know you are supposed to be doing and it still grows dark. When the "lights go out" we often refer to these times as trials or troubles. During these times we may suffer from confusion, anger, depression and other hardships, but rest assured God has a plan and a purpose. He is preparing you for something greater and growing you into a mature Christian.
Why does God cause the lights to go out? Because He loves us. I never thought I would say that, but I have found that it is true. When times get tough and the days grow dark I used to think, What did I do or God why are you doing this to me? God has shown me that it is because He loves me. Just like when the lights go out at my house and I am forced to slow things down a bit, I will do the same thing in my spiritual life. Suddenly I'm not as interested in the busy things of life, so I slow down and I began to seek Him. During this time I draw closer to God and my relationship with Him grows stronger. I realize what is important and what is not important. I realize that He is all I really need. I realize that He has everything I need and He is where my true satisfaction comes from. During this time I grow more intimate with my Savior and I am strengthened. He proves His love to me and when the next trial comes, I can face it with confidence in God. I can honestly say that the majority of my spiritual growth has come during difficult times in my life. Trials have made me more aware of others hurting and more compassionate for those who need Christ. Without the trials, I would have never known how to minister, pray or help other people.
God loves you and He wants you to slow down and develop a relationship with Him. Think about that for a moment. The God of the universe looks down at this big world and says, "I love him or her so much, that I am about to get their attention. I want a relationship with them." He pursues you. Even when you are not looking for Him, He is after you. Imagine that! On the other hand, He could just leave you alone. He could leave us to our selfish, sin-sick, heartless lives but He does not. He pursues us and often this is done when the lights are out.
God also brings darkness into our lives to prepare us for something greater. Without difficulty in my life I would probably not have sought His will and asked Him to lead me where He wanted me to be. It is in this time that we see God showing us our talents and opening new doors for us. We probably would not seek God in these areas if we were not forced to slow down and use them. The character built during this time will help us be successful in the plan God has for us and helps us be successful in the next trial.
Many times people think of difficulties and trials as being from the devil. It is hard for our human minds to comprehend how a loving God would allow such heartache. While I realize that some things we will never understand here on this earth, we must realize that God does allow darkness into our lives. Still yet, God is there and either God directly causes the trials or He allows Satan to bring them into our lives (Job 1:6-12 and Job 2:1-8), (James 1:2). One thing you must remember is that God has a plan and a purpose. These are not wasted days if we let God work in His time and His way. Not all things are good, but all things can work for our good when we love God (Romans 8:28).
So, what should we do when the lights go out? First, follow the key verse at the top of this article. Trust in God and rely upon God. Do not look for strength or answers from anyone but Him. This does not mean that we cannot seek help from others, but they are not your source of strength. They do not have the answers that you need or the comfort that you need, only God has that. Second, is a statement that I remember my dad always saying. Just keep on keeping on. basically put one foot in front of the other and keep on walking. Continue praying and seeking God when you do not feel like it and He seems a million miles away (Matthew 7:7-8). Keep on attending church. Keep on reading your Bible. Keep on keeping on. Keep feeling around in the dark.
During hurricane season there is a good chance that the lights will go out and so we try to have everything close by so that when the lights go out someone can just grab the candle, lighter, matches, or flash light. But there are other times, when the lights go out suddenly. When this happens, I can find myself groping around in the dark for the flashlight, matches, kitchen drawer, lantern or anything that will help me get a little light. I know that when it happens suddenly I feel helpless and frustrated, and I often stumble. I will run into a wall or stump my toes on something, but I do not give up because I want light and I need it. The same is true in our spiritual walk. If the lights suddenly go out, you may stumble at times, you may hurt and you may get angry but keep on feeling around in the dark. Just like I know that kitchen drawer has matches, and I keep feeling my way to it and then I feel my way through it until I find the matches and the lighter. We must do the same with God: keep feeling for Him. God will eventually reveal himself to you, heal and restore what has been hurt or stolen and use it for His glory and your benefit.
What not to do: Do not give up (Galatians 6:9). Do not give in to bitterness, discouragement, anger and throwing fits. This can thwart the work of God in our life. He will just bring another trail later down the road to do the same thing. The scary thing is He might just leave you alone and leave you with those character traits. When we react in the wrong way, it does not just affect ourselves, it affects others around us. it can make them uncomfortable and cause some of them to have bad attitudes. Remember, any time we react to the darkness in a negative way, it affects others in a negative way. It can cause relationships to be harmed or broken and it can cause us to be an ineffective witness for God. Now when the lights go out, I just say the above scripture and remember that this inconvenience can teach me something, and I think: What can I learn?
I am not trying to diminish the true pain that you may experience during financial difficulties, loss of loved ones, tragedies, broken relationships, broken dreams or suffering. I know that they are real. What I am trying to do is to help you turn to God in those times and let Him do the healing. If you are in those times, wouldn't it be better to turn to Him instead of bitterness, anger and discouragement? They will only lead you to more despair, but God will do more than you could ever imagine if you let Him. As a Christian please know this, the lights will go out. If you are walking with God there will be times of darkness. What will you do in the dark? Turn to the healer and move forward with His plan or turn to discouragement, bitterness and anger and continue your ride on the merry-go-round of despair? Below are a few verses that I would like to leave you with.
I will never leave you nor forsake you. (Joshua 1:5 and Hebrews 13:5)
Casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you. (I Peter 5:7)
Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest in your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)
Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has not light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God. (Isaiah 50:10)

1 comment:
Such truthful words--only when the lights go out can we truly learn to walk by faith.
Post a Comment