Something is always grabbing for my attention and if you are honest for yours too. The phone is always ringing, but only one thing is needed. A text is always coming in, but only one thing is needed. There is always something to plan, but only one thing is needed. Papers need to be graded, but only one thing is needed. The desk at work is piled up, but only one thing is needed. The house always needs to be cleaned, but only one thing is needed. Clothes need to be washed and folded, but only one thing is needed. Groceries need to be bought, but only one thing is needed. Homework needs to be done, but only one thing is needed. Kids need to be at this practice or that practice, but only one thing is needed. Supper needs to be cooked, but only one thing is needed...
I know the above sounds redundant, but the reality is the list could go on and on and on. But since I'm not the Energizer Bunny Rabbit-I will spare you. The world in which we live demands our attention, but only one thing is needed. Only one thing is needed to really thrive in life. Only one thing is needed to walk through this life with peace, contentment and joy in the midst of any circumstance. What is that one thing?
Look at Luke 10. In verse 38 you will find Jesus visiting with Mary and Martha. Martha had invited Jesus into her home. While Martha prepared her home, cooking and cleaning and getting it just right for Jesus, Mary sat at His feet listening to Him. Martha was distracted. Distracted with all the things that "needed" to be done. The things she was distracted by were not bad things. I myself would have been a little stressed to say the least if Jesus were physically coming to my house! I would have made sure everything was clean and the best cooking was in the works. In verse 40 you will find that Martha comes to Jesus and says, "Lord, don't You care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" I can relate to Martha. In a way I felt sorry for Martha, until I read what Jesus had to say. In verse 41 He says to Martha: "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (emphasis mine).
Can you hear Jesus saying the same thing to you? You have all sorts of things demanding your attention: work, the house, kids, husband, family matters, etc. but only one thing is needed. Time at my feet. The things grabbing for your attention cause you worry (and in our terms today STRESS), but if you sit my feet it will take nothing from you.
In reality it will give to you more than you can ever imagine. We cannot make it without time spent at the feet of Jesus. We can "survive another day", but it is not the same as when we take time for the one thing that is needed-quiet time with the One and Only, Jesus Christ.
Are you a Martha? I am. I struggle with it everyday. I do not have the husband and kids that many have, but there is always something grabbing for my attention. And sadly, many times I fall. It is easy to say, "I just don't have the time." But I have 24 hours in a day just like Mary and Martha, just like the Apostles, and just like Jesus. I cannot tell you what to do. I cannot tell you where to fit in your time with Jesus, but I can tell you that if you are not making that time, you are missing out. Did you hear me? MISSING OUT! I think for many we get overwhelmed for what is grabbing for our attention and we continue the cycle of being overwhelmed, and as a result we never know what we are missing out on. I challenge you to spend time in prayer, asking God what it is you can do without in a day and replace it with Him. I guarantee you He will answer and show you. For some, it may be getting up earlier or going to bed later. It may be less T.V. time or computer time. Try it for twenty-one days, setting aside 30minutes to an hour of quiet time reading your Bible and spending time in prayer. I would be willing to say that after 21 days you will continue. When you miss a day, it will feel as if you forgot something and you will begin to realize that your days do not go as if they had when you sit at His feet.
When I am having a bad day, when I am irritable, when I am discouraged and depressed, I can always trace it back to one thing. I have neglected to spend time with my Saviour. It really does make a difference. There is only one thing needed. Jesus can live if we don't "feed" Him, but we cannot survive He doesn't' "feed" us." What changes will you make to get that one thing?
Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He had to say. Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, "Lord, don't' you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me! Martha, Martha, the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I like this. :-) Hope you are well.
Post a Comment